The average man requires certain nutrients to function at his best, be healthy, build strong bones, maintain muscle mass and elasticity, and to keep internal systems running at their best. These nutrients come almost exclusively from the foods you eat, which is why it is so important to include these in an everyday diet. When a man is able to include the right foods in his diet, he will look fit, feel great, and be healthy, especially as he goes into the senior years.
It is important to understand that when the wrong foods are consumed, it can greatly compromise your health and result in a lack of energy for everyday life, and premature aging.
Get healthy, regain your strength and vitality by doing something as simple as adding the following 10 healthiest super foods to your daily meals.
1. Lean Red Meat: Despite what may be in the news about red meats, they can actually be good for you when the right kind are eaten in moderation. Enjoy lean cuts of steak, and 7% fat beef burgers, as these are a great source of protein with just a small amount of fat. The amino acid leucine, which is known for building strong muscles, is also found in red meat. Be sure to add only the leanest cuts of red meats to your diet to avoid intake of unnecessary fat.
2. Cherries: The juices of these delicious fruits are great for soothing sore muscles after a rigorous workout or a long day at the office. Cherry juice has the same anti-inflammatory effects of many medicines prescribed for inflammation and chronic pain. The best part is that unlike these medications, cherry juice comes with absolutely no side effects. Add these fruits to your fridge during the summer months when they’re ripe and juicy. Pure cherry juice with no additives can also be found in most stores throughout the rest of the year.
3. Shellfish: Though potentially harmful to pregnant women and young children, shellfish can work wonders for the male body. Shellfish have high levels of zinc, which is necessary for a healthy heart, muscles, and the reproductive system. When zinc levels are low, it could lead to a low sperm count and compromised fertility. If you cannot eat shellfish you can also receive the needed amount of zinc through other foods, such as, chicken, nuts, and seeds.
4. Avocados: This fruit is smooth, delicious and high in good fats, or monounsaturated fats, which combat the negative effects of total cholesterol and bad cholesterol, or LDL. With these in your diet, you can maintain clean arteries, as well as, reap the benefits that good fats have to offer. While it is important to have some fat in your diet, you don’t want the wrong kind. Instead, add these delicious fruits to salads, sandwiches, omelets, and more.
5. Chocolate: If you’re a guy with a sweet tooth, this super food is great for you. The right kind of chocolate can help improve blood circulation and provide you with a good source of antioxidants. Dark chocolate is the best type to eat because it contains flavanols that have been proven to stave of high levels of bad cholesterol, increase blood flow, and even maintain healthy blood pressure. When blood flow is poor, it can lead to erectile dysfunction, as well as, heart problems. By adding at least one ounce of dark chocolate to your daily diet, you can improve heart health, your sex life, and more.
6. Dairy: Dairy products like milk and yogurt are some of the healthiest foods for men because they are a great source of leucine. The whey found in milk and yogurt contain high levels of this muscle building amino acid, as well as, protein, potassium, and a healthy dose of friendly bacteria that promote a strong digestive system.
7. Fish: Salmon, sardines, halibut, and herring are all fish high in omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fats are responsible for maintaining heart health by cutting down bad cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of heart disease. Add at least two servings of fish containing good fats to your diet throughout the week for the best results.
8. Bananas: These fruits are high in potassium and contain lots of vitamins and nutrients that guys need to stay healthy. The potassium in bananas is needed to perform smooth muscle contractions and it also promotes bone health and healthy blood pressure.
9. Tomatoes: Chocked full of lycopene, a nutrient that may be able to protect against some forms of cancer, tomatoes are a delicious fruit (it technically is, though we consider it a vegetable) that can be added to a diet in a number of ways. 100% pure tomato juice, fresh sauce, and raw tomatoes may be able to reduce your risk of developing prostate cancer as suggested by some studies. They’re also great for overall body health because they add a blast of vitamins and nutrients to every meal with very little calories.
10. Potatoes: Hardy, delicious, and filled with essential nutrients to boost energy and overall health, potatoes are one of the easiest foods to add to your diet. They contain high levels of vitamin C and work against free radicals that find their way into the body. Plain baked potatoes are the best option, as butter and sour cream are so high in fat. But, you can add fresh salsa, reduced fat cheese, and herbs and spices to add extra flavor.